When Paul saw them, he thanked God and took courage. Acts 28:15

Pastor Mike Dente from Calvary Chapel Paris came to my little old church in Astoria with his wife Becky and two of their kids this past Thursday.  Watching this family, that I adore, meet my church family that I adore, was the most surreal thing I've witnessed in a long time.  It was probably a tiny piece of what heaven's going to be like...Paul in the same room as C.S Lewis, and St Francis of Assisi, all laughing and talking, saying "Hi," to me as sneak into the room and try to not say something stupid.

When Mike taught, he mentioned people, by name, from the church in Paris.  My heart burned and my eyes stung, thinking about my new friends who were faraway in France. I know I sound like a Jane Austin heroine when I say I absolutely longed to be there with them. Not that the grass is greener in France.  Not that I think it will be "easier," "better," or "holier" than here.  On the contrary, it's difficult in France.  Not just culturally, or linguistically, but spiritually as well.  It's the closest thing I've experienced to "working out" my spiritual capacities in this life.  It really is as exhausting, invigorating and strengthening as a physical workout. I have to be vigilant with captivating my thoughts, taking the low seat and dying to self.  There is the constant risk of humiliation with not knowing what's culturally appropriate, realizing I was inappropriate too late to stop myself...and then eating humble pie in trying to fix my stumblings.

It's extending grace, not being easily offended, and being sensitive to others, while keeping your mind on the Lord so as to avoid the subtle snare of being concerned too much with man's opinion.  It's a lot of praying, watching for opportunities, and being intentional and creative to make opportunities, that otherwise may not be obvious.

You see what I mean by a spiritual workout?

And yet, as Mike was teaching, it became clearer and clearer confirmation of where my family needs to be.  We are called to do this work.  God will equip us.  As we've been back for over a month, it's been easy to slip into some new normal here.  We began to wonder, are we really going back?  Has God really said, "Go"?   I prayed for a clear word that evening before church.  Not knowing how it would happen that we could go back, I wanted to be free of this burden if it wasn't the Lord.  And if it was, I needed it to have a peace to wait on Him, and trust in His timing.  The Dente's coming to Astoria was God's perfect answer for me.

I remembered in Acts when Paul had just gone through a crazy shipwreck adventure, and was just probably, I'm assuming, beat down.  He came to Rome, and it says,

The brothers and sisters there had heard that we were coming, and they traveled as far as the Forum of Appius and the Three Taverns to meet us. At the sight of these people Paul thanked God and was encouraged.  Acts 28:15

These people had come from a really far distance to see Paul, (43 miles!), and at the sight of them, Paul thanked God and was encouraged.  The Dente's drove all the way from Seattle, after flying all the way from Paris, and when I saw them, I thanked God, and was encouraged.  Mike taught about how necessary we are as a church to encourage one another; how we need each other to accomplish the work the Lord has given us.  We need prayer, and hugs, (or cheek kisses), words of encouragement, and words from scripture.  Ultimately, we need Jesus.  And He has given us this living organism, the body, His body, to function and move and work together for His glory.

I am so thankful.  He has whispered promises.  He has placed people strategically, at critical times to speak life giving words of encouragement, just when our family was beginning to battle doubt and despair.  We've received messages, texts, and prayers at just the right time to remind us..

Keep your eyes on Jesus.
Remember the call.
Be brave.
Be thankful.
Be encouraged.

Comments

  1. It's extending grace, not being easily offended, and being sensitive to others, while keeping your mind on the Lord so as to avoid the subtle snare of being concerned too much with man's opinion. It's a lot of praying, watching for opportunities, and being intentional and creative to make opportunities, that otherwise may not be obvious.

    I had to read that a few times for it to sink in. Wonderful words of encouragement wherever you might be, physically or spiritually.

    Thanks for the update. Was a little bummed to not get to visit while we were in town. We will be praying for God's awesome timing and guidance for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca I was bummed we didn't get to visit, too. I think we need to come visit you on your homestead. I'm missing couch talks with coffee and laughs...all the things we did last time you were here. Thanks for re-reading my wordy until it sank it. I think this whole process has got me in a place of being overwhelmed and letting the overwhelm be an ok part of the journey. You have always inspired me.

      Delete
    2. Rebecca I was bummed we didn't get to visit, too. I think we need to come visit you on your homestead. I'm missing couch talks with coffee and laughs...all the things we did last time you were here. Thanks for re-reading my wordy until it sank it. I think this whole process has got me in a place of being overwhelmed and letting the overwhelm be an ok part of the journey. You have always inspired me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts