Jumping in!

Today we got to jump into the all-French bible study at the Dente's. How do I describe that experience if you've never been in a full immersion , sink or swim test? Did you ever look at those 3-D pics from the 90's? Where you have to stare really hard, then relax and let your mind turn into a wet noodle so you can see a floating image of a hippo?

It was like that. But the hippo was way more intriguing. And spiritual. It was a spiritual, non idol- like hippo. Where we actually discussed idolatry. I listened. I didn't actually "discuss."  Because, you see, listening is way easier than speaking. And although I was able to catch a shocking amount of information, missing a single word can kind of change the context....Significantly.

Those French lessons were helpful. But "faith"  wasn't covered, so that was a hiccup. A couple other words swam over my head. I knew idolatry was the subject, but the term "holy water" wasn't understood until later. 

The point I'm trying to make is, if you haven't been "baptized" in another language, it's an experience no one should miss. It's humbling and  beautiful. The things you hear, totally by the spirit, are beautiful. I actually was able to receive a confirmation for a word I got before we left. It's kind of private so I won't share here. But it was amazing that I knew what pastor Mike was talking about and I knew it was in regards to what the Lord showed me before we left.
Also, being unable to communicate, even if you understand, makes us more  empathetic to those we encounter who don't speak English.

Empathy is never a wasted trait. 

We left their home after a wonderful lunch, exhausted and uplifted.
Home again, in our tiny village. Made a simple dinner of baguettes and ham. Jo played with the host's daughter, Clara, a fellow ten year old and tried to teach her English. Took a walk, took some pics, bathed the kids and got ready for bed.  Just another day.

Comments

Popular Posts