France update...so far...

(This post is longer than usual.  You can skip to the bottom for specific prayer requests!)


Bonjour! 


So, the first thing I learned on this trip is that the french may forgive any lingual sin as long as you begin your phrasing with “bonjour.” That is super helpful.  Also, if you have small children and teach them how to say “Bonjour” and “Bon soiree” you are really in the big leagues.  I love watching the reserved French melt into smiles as they hear my kids wishing them a wonderful evening, and saying “Merci boucoup!”  It simply is the best.  This opening paragraph is my “bonjour!” to you, in the hopes that any communication I attempt throughout the rest of this update will find your mercies if it reads clumsily or disjointed.  I have so much I need to say, my thoughts are tripping over one another.  C'est catastrophe!

RAINS, PLANES, AND TRAINS


 God has definitely had His hand over this trip from the beginning.  Reading the news before we came was like reading a series of unfortunate events, all climaxing with every passing day, just to find a new crest of trouble the next day.  First I read about the strikes.  The trains were striking, which would be a nuisance, but not exactly a nightmare since we could always rent a car.  But then the petrol people striked (stroke?) and the gas stations were running dry.  The upper area of France was hit the hardest...which is where we rented our gite.  Go figure.  Then the news got worse.  More strikes.  This time affecting the transportation through Paris, the trains and buses.  Bummer.   Then we get to the airport and I see on the news, record rain is hitting France.  A month's worth of rain in one day.  Well, what true pacific north westerner is going to let a little rain dampen her spirit?  I mean, really.  That's not even a speed bump.  Oh.  Except for this flooding stuff.  That didn't look nice.  Apparently France just isn't used to our soggy damp Astoria glory.   So we stepped off the plane and took a deep breath.  We had no idea what we were walking into, but we knew God was before us, and we just had to keep walking.

Customs and Canadians


Getting off the plane was an exercise in patience.  The customs line made the Tijuana border crossing look like a carousel ride.  This was going to take a minimum of two hours, I figured.  It was after midnight Oregon time, and I had two children who had spent the entire time on the plane eating, laughing and watching the films.  Meltdown was inevitable.  “Guys, just think of this as a line for Disneyland,” I said.  Without a ride at the end.  Ugh.  I was ever aware of the outreach opportunities, as the lord had given us people on every leg of this journey so far that he wanted us to talk to.  From the train in Seattle, to the cab driver in Vancouver, I knew this line was another opportunity to shine with Christ.  But I didn't have it.  I mean, I was just done.  And my kids were done.  And we stunk.  And the people stunk.  And an hour into this, after being cut in front of, and dragging bags, and having the kids literally melt into a pile of whining goo on the floor, I prayed, “Lord, we will never make this.  You've got to help us.  I'm a super flesh ball and I'm about to get ugly with my kids.  I will go to french jail and rot like jean val jean.  And you know how much I hate les miserables.”  Just then, literally, as I was planning my life raising some prostitutes orphan daughter while singing acapella, this fresh faced young couple behind us asked, “Do you play often?”  I grumbled, but Jeff said, “yes we play worship at our church. And we're here actually to see our pastor friend who heads a church in Paris.”   
“Oh really?” they asked.  “We're here to visit the pastor who married us.  He serves in Spain.”
Turns out these two Canadians were the water from the rock that prevented my grumbling from turning into sin.  They were so friendly, and kind and funny...really funny.  It may have been the jet lag but I laughed.  Hard.  I was a little slow on the punchlines, but who cares.  We lived.  And enjoyed the rest of the line.  And it was awesome.  Lesson learned: When I don't have anything else to give, it's totally ok.  God has something refreshing for me.  It's a time to rest.  Oh, and I don't want to go to french jail.

Car rental hook up... G.P....YES!


We never got a peace about the train passes back in Oregon.  We were just waiting on the lord to make it clear.  Finally, Jeff felt it was right to book a car rental.  So, the night before we flew out of Vancouver, Jeff stayed up most of the night, reserving and researching car deals.  He figured out the most affordable option, while necessitating our needs.  He rented a car from the airport, which is a premium pick up spot, which adds about 50 euro to the price, but there wasn't a way to get out of it.  He booked a big enough car for our bags and ourselves, but only rented it for a couple days, then reserved a much smaller car for us to use for the remainder of our time, at a pick up location that was much cheaper.  Not only was the car itself less cash, the gas savings would be great since we are planning on driving down to Bordeaux to spare the whole train strike drama.  The Lord totally hooked Jeff up with wisdom on that one!  When we got the car, oh my goodness.  It was fancy.  It was a puegot fancy pants edition.  And the amazing bonus??? It came with a GPS!  Which is usually a 100 euro add on!!! This really came in handy because our phones didn't work.  Which means google maps didn't work. I scavenged the airport WiFi to quickly google map our home and took screen shots of every step.  But then I didn't have to use it.  Because...GPS.  Because...the lord's goodness.  Oh! And Jeff rented a car.  In french.  That was awesome.  They ask you things that your language lessons don't exactly cover.  But he did it!

GITE, sweet!!


Our rental home in the tiny village of Saint Pierre d' Autils is, I'm just going to say it, ridiculous. Before we left, Josephine prayed for her own room.  I was thinking, I don't know how that could ever happen, but I told her the lord heard her prayers, and he's given her a playground and Asher a dog, why not ask for her own room?  So we get to the place.  And there is a surprise bedroom.  An extra room!  Unadvertised!!!  Who does that?  It is amazing.  The rooms even have doors.  So asher and jo both have their own room with a door.  We haven't really had that, ever.  It's been such a treat for the kids.  They were so nervous coming here.  But they've been enjoying it so much.  There is a walled garden behind our gite, with a TREEHOUSE!!  Our host is the most warm, welcoming guy.  He has two older sons and a daughter Jo's age.  We're excited for them to get together and play.  Speaking of our host, his name is Denis.  He seems to be very influential in this little village.  His wife was born in the house we are staying in.  They raised their kids in this house before building the bigger one they are in now. We are eagerly waiting to get together with them and talk. Jeff is always looking for ways to be helpful, and bless him.  He has been really good at recognizing what to say and when.  Discernment, I suppose you call it.  Yesterday afternoon Jeff spoke with him as he was getting ready to mow the lawn.  His usual friendly persona was slightly stoic and worried.  After talking with him, Denis asked if we had heard about the floods.  “It's very bad,” he said, obviously worried.  “It's never been like this.”  Every day it's rained.  We hardly notice it, but it worries him.  He keeps saying, “This isn't normal.  It's not usually like this,” almost apologetically.  We reassure him, it takes more than bad weather to dampen our time.  

Jeff told Denis we were having some friends over.  A cool side note, the kids get their first french sleepover guests.  The Dente kids, the youngest two, are getting to have a sleepover.  And I don't think a trip to euro Disney would have been as exciting for my kids than this has been.  They are currently eating tons of candy, building train sets, playing barbie prom and giggling upstairs.  We are so super blessed!

Anyway, Jeff told Denis about Pastor mike and Becky coming over and he was so fascinated. 
“Wait-who is this?  A protestant?...and...he is married?!  With kids?? increable! Where does he teach?  Because I went, once, with a friend of mine, and I heard this pastor...his philosophies on life were (mind blown hand gesture) amazing!”

Our main ministry while we are here in the gite is witnessing to Denis.   Just naturally living, loving, discussing, and praying for him and his family.  There is a draw, an interest and a concern in him that seems to be leading him to the gospel.  

Prayer requests


  • pray that we continue to walk in the spirit, wherever the lord leads and to whomever
  • pray for Denis and his family
  • pray for the people of France.  This is a perfect storm that stirs up the hearts of men. Economically they are being hit, the weather is making them feel powerless, and the normal mode of everyday life, in transportation is being slowed to a grinding halt. Everything that is precious to them is being shaken up.  We've been praying specifically for the ground to be tilled, for the soil to be soft, for the need to be felt, so that the gospel will fall on good ground, and the hearts of the people of France will receive it and bear fruit.  Please join us in those prayers.
  • Did I mention pray for salvation for Denis and his family?
  • Pray for the Dente's.  This family has faithfully served here in France for twenty years.  I imagine it can be lonely and difficult to be in such a challenging field of ministry for so long.  Although they don't look weary, I think praying for them and their children often, would be a huge blessing.
  • Pray that the lord would show us practical ways to bless this host family.  And that the lord would open up many wonderful conversations with them
  • pray that our french would grow daily
  • pray for travel mercies for us.  


That's it for now.  I'll post again tomorrow.  I have funny stories I want to share but this is already a mini book.  Love you!  
1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, His son, cleanses us from all sin.

Comments

Popular Posts