Storms inside outside upside down

“The world is not in your books and maps...it's out there...” Gandalf to Biblo in The Hobbit

I haven't been able to blog lately as much as I had wanted. Between internet problems, and a whirlwind schedule, it has been challenging. So here I am, on another raining afternoon, with The Hobbit on, and given the perfect opportunity to try to digest the last three weeks.

During our time in Bordeaux, we met a woman at the park, named Marie. She told us the history of that stunning city, full of revitalization and becoming an international destination. She explained that the great brown river we walked over to get to the heart of the town, wasn't dirty. That although it appeared brown and murky and polluted, it was simply from the storms that had caused the river to churn up the dirt from the bottom. That usually, during the spring, the river glows, almost blue from the melting clear waters from the mountains. She told us she loves to take pictures of the river all throughout the year, because it tells a story, whether it's being churned as a chocolate river, or blue and clear.

That pretty much describes my time at the beginning here. I was like the chocolate river, being churned up. The muck and mud, that so often lie dormant and unseen inside of me, being brought to surface. It felt as if I was dropped in the middle of the storm, in the middle of that river. I absolutely could not tell which way was up, and couldn't get my bearings, much less try to explain what was going on. Now I'm further along, and I hate that I am only able to speak for myself on this journey. Jeff and the kids have their own amazing experiences and stories that I hope I can get them to share on here. So here goes the update so far...from my perspective, of course.

We have absolutely loved working alongside the Dente's. Our kids and their youngest two have gotten along wonderfully. It's been great having the kids so excited to get together with them. I got to spend time with Becky Wednesday while Jeff went to pick up Mike at the airport. It was so cool to see the family waiting with anxious anticipation for their father, and husband to come home. The whole household was like...just...waiting...for any word that he would be home soon. A call, saying the flight had been delayed 40min...followed by a sigh, and a resigned contentment, that he was at least on the same continent. It reminded me of how we are as Christians...waiting for our groom, with abundant expectation. They are such a beautiful family, full of the Spirit, and one that has been through the fire.

Speaking of going through the fire, they suffered a shocking loss while we were in Bordeaux. Mike's dad passed away, and so he had to hurry to Arizona to be there for the funeral. It was crazy timing, and we saw the Lord's hand in the timing of our trip. Because we had been to the church the week before, there were little things Jeff knew how to do so he could help out. Like hanging the sign outside...stuff like that. Our kids, having lost their grandpa as well, I hope were able to be a comfort to their new friends. Mourning is such a tricky thing. Death is an unnatural part of life, there's no proper etiquette or playbook. So we explained to the kids to try to just be there and listen, and if someone just wants to be quiet and not play, that's ok.

Prayer has been a huge part of this trip. I'll be honest, the attacks are real. Please keep praying for us and the Dente's. The Lord has placed this family on our hearts, specifically for a year to be praying for them. It's been incredible to see how the prayers, led by the Spirit, have created this supernatural friendship. The people in their body are wonderful, and it's hard not to fall in love with them. There have been difficulties and heart ache that we've seen while here. It's real life, afterall. The battle is fierce, and the enemy would want to divide and stir up to distract from the work being done.

We are learning what it means to be vigilant in battle. Pray for their church. Eph 1:17-19 Mike taught on these verses as a way to pray over the church. I'm praying it over myself as well.

Ok, so what's France like? Well. It's kind of interesting right now. We have come on one of the rainiest seasons they have ever had. Add to that, the terror attacks on a family of police members in a town right near us, the union strikers that are destroying hospitals and attacking police officers, the fact that France is hosting the Eurocup (it's a super big deal,) and the flooding Seine...the people of France are, well, uneasy. You see, right now, because of all the rain, the French are depressed. Seriously. They are taking this rain hard. Even our host's typically upbeat 15 year old son said, in French, “It makes me so sad.” They expect this time of year to be eating outside, and talking in cafes. It's a huge part of their culture.
When we first got here, everyone was scared from the floods. Then they were anxious and frustrated from the strikes. Then the attack happened on the police couple and it was devastation to the morale of the police force, who is already over-worked from the Eurocup and the strikes. Now the rain continues. And continues. And continues. I laugh because everyday they say next week will be better and we can go see the Eiffel Tower, but next week never comes. Only the rain. And it's beating down a culture that desperately desires some levity in the middle of all this turmoil.

Our interactions with the people have been amazing. Honestly. Not one negative story. We are expanding our French, and people in this little town already recognize us and say hello. The people at the craft store know us and ask us how it's going when they run into us. Yeah, that was a crazy story. You think you know your french until you're attempting to locate and purchase felt for a kid's craft for church. The word for felt in french? Feutre. Je rien.

Everyone in this town knows why we're here. We're the “Protestants” that go to “temple” in a Jews for Jesus building. I feel so exotic! Last night we were finally able to have dinner with our host family. Denis and his wife Katrine are in the film industry here in France. It's pretty surreal to be across the world and share stories about our time in Los Angeles. We met their friend Sarah, also an actress, who spends half of her time in L.A. We talked about everything you shouldn't: religion, politics, money...and it was wonderful. We absolutely love this family. Denis is Jewish and Katrine is Catholic. We got to talk about traditions and fear and Denis commented how people are turning to religion for answers because they are so scared. We are praying continually for the opportunity to “show and tell” as Jeff calls it. He tells the kids, “We show Jesus before we tell.” That's what we're doing with Denis and his family, hopefully.

Real life in France is like real life in the states. Except with a language barrier. And pretty charming scenery, not gonna lie. But all the rock walls and clock towers become just muted backdrops when you're trying to communicate, “I need data...for my phone..D-A-T-A....shoot.” at the phone store. I appreciate the beauty of the French country side. It reminds me of Oregon. And I love Oregon. And the old stuff here is awesome. I love history. So when my host's wife says her family came to this village in 1650...I was like...um..seriously? You mean 1950, right? No. 1650. Like they knew Shakespeare, when his troupe went on tour...I kid. Sort of. But they were really here that far back. So when I ask about the German occupation? That was just yesterday. Her grandfather led the underground resistance. I may have fan-girled over that for a bit. She is super French. She has the French thing down. When she breaks into a laugh, she just melts me. You have to earn laughs here. Luckily Jeff is very funny and his self-deprecating humor had her laughing on many occasions. She looks like a model, like Vanessa Paradis without the front tooth gap. Google her. Her husband, Denis is hysterical. He makes movies and writes screenplays and acted, so you know, just a funny guy. He and Jeff get along with such ease. The language barrier gets thinner and thinner with every interaction.

My heart has been smooshed lately. I couldn't explain it any better. It was so heavy. And I remarked to Jeff, “Have you noticed how many older people are hunched over here? It's so strange.” I see it as a picture of the spiritual condition. There is a heaviness and a sadness here, that can sink into your bones, and won't crush you completely, but will, like cement in your shoes, slow you to a crawl. There is a finality of the crushing sadness of life, devoid of hope. The levity, found in good food, good wine, good conversations, beautiful gardens, beautiful art, fantastic architecture, and remarkable traditions, is nothing that lasts. It cannot solve the ultimate problem, which is our desperate need for Jesus. I felt this heaviness Sunday, and was so downcast. It was like, why bother. Then I got to church and the message was just what I needed to hear. As Christians, we are not changed by our atmosphere! We bring our own atmosphere! The spirit of the Living, (not dead,) God is INSIDE OF US!!! We have all power, all gifts, all weapons, all spiritual resources at our fingertips. I love that. We bring our own atmosphere. Chew on that, Christian. Am I falling into the despair around me? Or am I shining with the only hope there is?

I am madly in love with the people of France. It breaks my heart that they are so lost. But God is taking away their crutches. One...by...one. This is an exciting time to be a Christian in France. Literally, all we have to do is shine. All we have to do is love. And that is so cool. Pray Eph 1:17-19. Pray for me. Pray it for yourself. Pray it for my family. Pray it for Calvary Chapel Paris. Pray it for Coastline. I want to see how prayer will revitalize us. How can we change the world with the love of Christ when we won't let Him work through us? That's been my wrestling. Christ has been wanting to work through me. I've been wanting my bubble. I'm ashamed to admit it. I've been Bilbo Baggins, satisfied in my hobbit home, wanting crocheted tablecloths when there's a war going on. And there are people that He has specifically, for Jeff and our family to reach. Phillip and the Ethiopian in the desert keeps coming to mind. Pray that this family we are with for 10 more days, respond like that Ethiopian. That they would be chewing on our conversation...and wondering...and questioning. That the questions would lead them to the foot of the Savior.


Comments

Popular Posts